Friday, May 14, 2010

Spicy Peanut Soup (its wonderful, I promise!)

I've noticed that peanut butter has become a popular ingredient in a lot of recipes, including this recipe.  It sounds weird and everyone I tell about it is skeptical, but it is tasty, quick and easy.  It is also low-calorie (less than 200 calories a bowl) and low-fat!  I serve this with bread or rolls on the side and it is filling enough to be a complete dinner!

Spicy Peanut Soup:
1 teaspoon butter
A couple of stalks (3-5) chopped celery
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 big onion, chopped into smallish pieces
1 or 2 chicken breasts, chopped into small pieces
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
4 cups chicken broth
4 tablespoons whole milk (we always have some in the house, but I'm sure 2% would be ok too!)
2 tablespoons peanut butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

1.  In a medium soup pot, melt butter.  Saute the celery, onions, garlic and chicken pieces until veggies are tender and chicken is cooked.
2. Stir in flour to make a roux, cook for one minute.
3. Add chicken broth, peanut butter, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.  Bring to a low rolling boil and simmer for about 10 minutes. Add 4 tablespoons of whole milk right before you serve it.

Its good.  I promise.  No, seriously it is.  Go ahead, I dare you to try it! :D  Please feel free to comment and let me know how it turned out!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment