Thursday, August 5, 2010

Healthy Sausage and Lentil Soup

Here is an amazing recipe for a sausage and lentil soup.  It was seriously one of the best soups I've ever made!  And it's got low-fat sausage and no thickening agent, so its healthy!

4 cups of water and 4 chicken bouillon cubes
3 1/2 cups of water
1 cup dried brown lentils, rinsed
3 stalks of celery, sliced
1/3 of a bag of baby carrots, cut into quarters
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound of Jimmy Dean reduced-fat pork sausage
1/2 of a bunch of green onions, chopped into slices
 
1. Put water, bouillon cubes, lentils, celery, carrots, thyme, cayenne pepper and garlic into a big stockpot.  Bring to boiling, then let simmer over medium-heat for about 20 minutes.  Add sausage (since its in a tube, I mushed it with my hands into small chunks as I dropped it into the pot) and green onions and cook for 5-10 minutes more (until everything is soft and sausage is cooked).
2. Serve! 
 
So easy!!!!!  It was soooo flavorful, and about 250 calories a bowl!

2 comments:

  1. Fun! Found your blog from Jessica! I have become a follower and hope to enjoy some of these receipes soon. :) Keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! I'm not super consistent with posting, but I'm trying. And I always put on my facebook page when I've updated!

    ReplyDelete